Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Take that Martha!

Yes, you read correctly. I have beaten Martha Stewart at her own game. I have made a better cookie.

I found this recipe for oatmeal raisin cookies for about 6 months ago and have made them several times. They are pretty good. The original recipe is ok... probably one of the better oatmeal raisin recipes I have found but it needed work. They came out too cake-like. I like my ORC chewy and slightly soft. So, whenever I made them I would think of the changes I needed to make for the next time. Then "the next time" came along and I would forget to make the changes. Does anyone else do that?? Or is it just me?? 

This weekend I made them. Twice. I finally remembered to make the changes. And, they are amazing! The perfect cookie. Now, it is up to you! If you want to feel like a domestic goddess and -slightly- better than Martha, make these cookies! It's a nice little ego boost.

Oatmeal Raisin Cookies
adapted from Marthastewart.com

1/2 cup (1 stick in the USA) Butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar
1/2 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt 
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1 2/3 cups quick cooking oatmeal
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup raisins

- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Cream butter and brown sugar with mixer.
- Add egg and vanilla, mix well. 
- Next, add salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flour. Mix well with a large spoon. 
- The oatmeal and raisins are mixed in last with a large spoon. Drop by the rounded spoonful on a baking sheet, bake for about 8 minutes or until slightly brown on top. 


Sorry, no pictures today. I will update this post with one later!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

mmm... will try! :) We call them Anzac biscuits (yes we call cookies biscuits!) They'd have to be on my list of favourites :) :) :)

Hope you are having a good week!