Thursday, April 15, 2010

Happy Birthday to ME!


It's my birthday! Today, at 11:06 pm (Nice time) I will be a quarter of a century old. I remember when John turned 25, he was such a pansy about it... "I'm a quarter of a century old. I'm soooo old." (kidding Hubby, you could never be a pansy...) I have no such qualms about my age. yet. We will see how I react to 30 in 5 more years. Birthdays are just fun. A day to celebrate all that is good about a person. And eat homemade birthday cake! (This is definitely my favorite part.)

I was a spoiled child. I am really beginning to realize that the older I get. And no, I don't mean that I got everything I wanted. I didn't. But I was spoiled with love, and with special memories, and traditions. 

Every year growing up, my mom made my a birthday cake. They were beautiful. And there is no way that anyone can convince me that a crummy cake from walmart is HALF as good as a cake that was made at home by someone that loves you, with homemade buttercream icing. Sorry. Which is why now, I make John's birthday cake every year and when we have kids.. a million years from now... I will make their birthday cakes. Mom was known (and still is known) as the Cupcake Mom. She made the best cupcakes and I always took them to school on my birthday. To this day, I have friends that ask for my mom's cupcakes.

The other birthday tradition growing up was that I could not open my presents until it was 4:06 pm. Mom liked to say that until that moment it wasn't reallly my birthday and so I couldn't open them yet. (She really just liked to make me wait. She is pesky that way.)

Yes, there are other traditions that we had that I'm not writing about- birthday dinner and getting to pick whatever I wanted Mom to cook, getting woke up by Mom and Dad telling me happy birthday, the phone call from my Granny and Grandpa Saylor and having them sing Happy Birthday in their very off-key voices from two different phone extensions. These are the things that kids remember. I don't remember gifts, I don't remember all of my parties, but I remember the traditions. The things you could count on happening, the things that made the day special.

So, Happy Birthday to ME!

3 comments:

Stacy said...

Happy Birthday!!! Hope it was wonderful!!!

Love,
The DeWees'

Anonymous said...

bon anniversaire!

Weren't you just a bit cute!?

:)

What was done said...

Happy birthday!
The age of 25 can be great:

http://www.whatwasdone.com/Age.php?&Age=25
We are getting old only in our head.