I realized this weekend that I have not blogged one of our favorite recipes! Ah! What have I been thinking? Maybe subconsciously I thought I could keep it a secret... but, I love to share and talk, so today is your lucky day!
- 12 ounces ziti (about 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- Kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 26-ounce jar marinara sauce
- 1 whole zuchinni, chopped
- 4 button mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 cup ricotta
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
- 1 cup grated mozzarella (4 ounces)
- Heat oven to 400° F. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring every once in a while, until they begin to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the beef, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon until it's not longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes. Add chopped zucchini and mushrooms and saute with the beef until they are slighty soft. Drain the beef mixture in a colander, return to pot.
- Toss the pasta with the meat mixture, marinara sauce, spinach, ricotta, and ¼ cup of the Parmesan. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or 4 large ramekins. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and the remaining ¼ cup of the Parmesan and bake until the cheese melts, 12 to 15 minutes.
Recipe is adapted from Real Simple. Original recipe here.