Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Changin' it up

Notice anything different?? I have been dying to change my blogger background for weeks now and just couldn't find anything that I liked. Everything looked too much like a page from a scrapbook. No, that's not a bad thing all the time, but I just didn't want a bright orange, yellow and pink striped background with a fake flower on it.... (My apologies if that is your blog background. It's lovely. I can't imagine why you would want something different......) This is the best that I have found thus far so for now- this is it! Enjoy! 

I realized this weekend that I have not blogged one of our favorite recipes! Ah! What have I been thinking? Maybe subconsciously I thought I could keep it a secret... but, I love to share and talk, so today is your lucky day! 

Baked Ziti 

Ingredients
  • 12 ounces ziti (about 4 cups)
  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 large onion, chopped
  • 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
  • 1/2 pound lean ground beef
  • Kosher salt and black pepper
  • 1 26-ounce jar marinara sauce
  • 1 whole zuchinni, chopped
  • 4 button mushrooms, chopped
  • 1/2 cup ricotta
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (2 ounces)
  • 1 cup grated mozzarella (4 ounces)
Directions
  1. Heat oven to 400° F. Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain the pasta and return it to the pot.
  2. While the pasta is cooking,  heat the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring every once in a while, until they begin to soften, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the beef,   ¾ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, breaking up the meat with a spoon until it's not longer pink, 4 to 5 minutes. Add chopped zucchini and mushrooms and saute with the beef until they are slighty soft. Drain the beef mixture in a colander, return to pot. 
  3. Toss the pasta with the meat mixture, marinara sauce, spinach, ricotta, and ¼ cup of the Parmesan. Transfer to a 9-by-13-inch baking dish or 4 large ramekins. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and the remaining ¼ cup of the Parmesan and bake until the cheese melts, 12 to 15 minutes.
This is some gooooood stuff. Enjoy guys! 

Recipe is adapted from Real Simple. Original recipe here.  

No comments: