Wednesday, February 9, 2011

What's a Buckle?

Anyone who has ever moved knows the absolute joy of cleaning out the cabinets that last week in the apartment/house. Using the last of your sugar, flour, butter, pasta, tomato sauce, cereal, and whatever is left in the freezer, then trying to find a way to piece it all together into a meal or a dessert. Over the weekend I made brownies (which I thought I had blogged but evidently haven't. Soon!), blondies (also coming soon to a blog near you!), and oatmeal raisin cookies. While doing the Freezer Check, I realized that we still had some frozen blueberries and not enough of everything else to make these muffins

What to do What to do? I can't waste blueberries. I love them too much. And, any excuse to try a new recipe is always welcome. So, the search began! Combing the web for a recipe that used the blueberries without using something that I didn't have to begin with (no extra shopping!) or didn't have enough of. After going here and here and several of my other regular places,  I landed on this recipe for a Blueberry Buckle and while I had no idea what a "buckle" is (unless it's on my belt) it was the only one that met all the criteria.

Oh. My. Word. I don't even care what a buckle is now. All I need to know is it tastes soooooo good with a morning cup of coffee.


Blueberry Buckle
Recipe slightly modified from Allrecipes
1/4 cup Butter
3/4 cup Sugar
1 egg
2 cups all purpose flour ( I used: 1 1/3 cup ap flour and 2/3 cup whole wheat)
2 teaspoons Baking Powder
1/3 teaspoon Salt
1/2 cup Milk
2 cups blueberries
Topping:
2/3 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Flour
1/2 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/3 cup cold butter

Methods
In a small mixing bowl, cream 1/4 cup butter and 3/4 cup sugar. Beat in the egg. Add flour, baking powder and salt to bowl. Mix slowly and gradually add the milk. Dough will be very thick. Very gently, fold in blueberries so as not to crush them.
Pour into greased 8 inch square pan.
In a small bowl, mix sugar cinnamon and flour. Cut in the butter until it resembles large crumbs. Sprinkle over dough in pan.
Bake at 375 degrees F for about 40-45 minutes.





3 comments:

Donna said...

mmm....Looks great Stacey!!!!

Anonymous said...

The Johnson's (from KY) gave us a Kentucky cookbook that had a blueberry buckle in it - I made it. I loved it! :) Also love the new blog look. Very fresh! Hope everything is going smoothly for you!

Stacey said...

Thanks guys!
The blog "look" is still a work in progress but it is starting to come together!