Tuesday, January 11, 2011

That Dorie.. She's good.

When you start looking at food blogs online, there are a couple of names you are sure to run into- David Lebovitz, Dorie Greenspan, and Pioneer Woman, just to name a couple. And, I have to say, they are quite good at what they do. But that Dorie. She might be the cream of the crop. 

I know.. I sound 80 years old when I say that. I'm probably the closest to a 50's housewife you'll ever meet... I also say "shoot", "my goodness", and "oh dear" a lot. But really, this could go into a whole other post. 

In the winter, I think we all love the taste of a warm muffin in the morning. With a hot cup of coffee, I really don't think there is a better breakfast. (but I am a little partial... ) Since I know we all love a good, wholesome muffin, I am always on the lookout for new recipes. This recipe was posted this summer and has just been waiting around for a frosty winter morning. After our recent trip, I decided it was time to try it out.

Leaning tower of muffins! Yuuummmmmmy!

Oatmeal Breakfast Bread
-can also be made as a loaf

Ingredients
Topping-
1/4 cup Brown sugar
1/4 cup chopped Pecans (or other nut)
1/2 Teaspoon Cinnamon
    - Mix together in a small bowl

Muffins
2 Large Eggs
3/4 cup Applesauce
1/2 cup Melted Butter -let cool for just a few minutes
1/3 cup Oil 
1/4 cup Buttermilk or whole milk
1 1/4 cup Flour  - I split this and used 3/4 cup Whole Wheat and 1/2 All purpose
3/4 cup Sugar
2 Tbls Brown Sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking Powder
3/4 teaspoon Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon Baking Soda
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Vanilla
1/2 cup of Dried, diced Fruit. ( craisins, raisins, apricots, apples, figs. I used Apricots and raisins)
1 cup Old Fashioned Oatmeal

Methods
-Heat oven to 350 F. Line your muffin pans.
-Whisk together eggs, buttermilk, applesauce, butter,oil,vanilla.
-In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon. Add one spoonful of flour mixture to the fruit, toss to coat. 
-Stir oatmeal into the large bowl with the flour mixture. Pour liquid mixture into dry mixture. Stir carefully, just until everything is mixed. Add fruit, stir again, gently so as not to over mix.
-Pour into lined muffin pans, add topping. 
-Bake for about 20-22 minutes, until golden brown. 

Eat! And, try to stop after one or 2... 
Recipe adapted from here!



No comments: