Friday, June 17, 2011

Have your cake....

A couple of weeks ago I was approached by a family at church to make their daughter's birthday cake. Honestly, I was pretty hesitant to say yes. While I love to make cakes and put lots of fluffy icing on them, I haven't done a ton of detailed cake decorating and haven't used my decorating tips since before we left for France.


I know. I will be going to pastry school and haven't used icing tips in over 2 years. Don't yell too loudly.

Anyways, I did say yes, only because they said they weren't expecting a masterpiece and I could pretty much do what I wanted as long as it said, "Happy Birthday". Those guidelines I can work with. Alas, the little girl was sick the day of her party and so the cake was frozen (again, don't yell too loudly) until Wednesday of this week. It came out pretty great, I think. 

Pepto bismal Icing anyone? Add some yellow and you have a pretty peach. 

Hopefully you can see my circles on the cake. I placed my polka dots with fondant cutters and went back with icing to outline and fill them in. Eyeballing a circle? Yeh. Right. 

 After. 

And, the top: 


So, what would I do differently next time? Make it 3 layers, more to decorate! Buy a smaller offset spatula. Relax. haha.  Hopefully, it won't be 2 years before I get to use my decorating tips again! 

Have a wonderful weekend everyone!

No comments: