Thursday, August 26, 2010

OMW edition 101

Yesterday was my 100th blog! (I didn't even realize until I was writing this one!) Can you believe it? That's quite a lot of posts, in my opinion. Ah well, I have plenty of time on my hands to write I guess! And, plenty of things to write about!

So, today, I continue with Paris! 

 This was taken in the more industrial part of Paris. It is the EDF building- Electric Department of France.

Notre Dame De Paris. This cathedral is known for its amazing architecture and the breathtaking rose windows. It was one of the first buildings in the world to use the "flying buttresses" to support the outer walls. 

Construction started in 1163 and it was not completed until 1345. The outside of the church is amazing. The detail work on the facade and the doorways is impeccable.

John and I actually made 3 trips to Notre Dame. We met our friends there on Saturday when we arrived, and we went back on Monday to see the inside. The line to go to the roof was very very long on Monday so we came back Tuesday morning- very early- to try to beat the crowd. It didn't work. The wait was even longer early in the morning. So, no flying buttresses for us! 

While we were there, (the second trip) the daily prayers service started. So, it is an active church, not just a tourist attraction. 


One of the rose windows. Here, you can kind of see how very large they are. 

Taken from the very back of the church. Amazingly large. And old. And beautiful.

No comments: