Friday, July 8, 2011

Christmas in July

Joyeux Noel!

I just realized that I didn't really blog our last Europe trip... which was Christmas. Sometimes, photo editing becomes such a task that by the end of it all I am so tired of looking at them that I just quit. Not a good excuse, but it happens. So, here I am in PA with some of the craziest humidity I have ever experienced, and I am going to talk about snow. YEH! 



This is where the trip started. We stayed in the little town of Ruette, about 15 minutes from the German border. It is the most beautiful Christmas that I have ever had. A tiny town, blanketed in snow; perfectly picturesque. 


Our hotel, the Hotel Goldener Hierch, is still family own and operated after 500 years. Amazing. The walls are covered in their family pictures and the family tree. And, we met the owner. Gruff old guy who always has a pipe or cigar in his mouth. Every dinner was spent in the restaurant, complete with homemade noodles. Wish I was munching on some of those right now! We loved it every minute we spent there.
 
The first real day of this trip was spent in Germany at the castles of King Ludwig the 2nd of Bavaria. There are a lot of mysteries surrounding him and his death but the real reason we wanted to visit is this: Walt Disney based Cinderella castle on Neuschwanstien. 

 That's right. I've seen the REAL Cinderella castle. 

Anyways, the area also has the castle where King Ludwig grew up. It is much less impressive than Neuschwanstien, but it's always good to start at the beginning. (And, how can you really complain about a castle?) Our day began at Hohenschwangau. 


 Taken on our way up the hill. 


Can you imagine this being the view from your house? Amazing. Just almost more than I can stand. All those snow covered trees, fields, and houses. 


Look like anything you know? More on that tomorrow!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Right now it feels cold enough here in Brisbane to snow - but it won't. So I'm thankful for these pictures! :) Beautiful!