Monday, October 26, 2009

The Botanical Gardens


This week I am going to continue with our highlights of Dublin. I really don't think I realized how much we did in just 2 and half days! John and I began our first full day in Dublin with the botanical gardens. We heard that it was worthwhile, saw a sign for it on our way into town, and headed in that direction.

The gardens were one of our favorite stops while we were in town. They far exceeded our expectations. The dahlia garden was my favorite spot- as you can tell if you have seen our photo albums from the trip. I think John's favorite spot would have to be the "forest" area. Not just because it had large, beautiful trees but because it also had squirrels.

For those of you who do not know, my husband loves squirrels. They may well be one of is all time favorite animals. So, the story I am about to tell you will probably go down in history as one of John's Favorite Moments. We were walking through this heavily wooded area of the gardens and noticed a squirrel. We stop and look at it for a second- and the squirrel takes off. Not in the opposite direction or up a tree, but right towards us. Beeline- right for my feet. It stopped about 4 inches from my left toe. All we could do was stare. Since we didn't fork out any food, the little guy scampered off after a second or two. John and I were continuing our walk when we spotted another squirrel. What does this little guy do- he takes off for us too! He stopped 6 inches from John's big toe. No food- so the little bushy tailed fellow starts to leave. Well, since my husband just lloooovveesss squirrels, he doesn't want to just let the little guy go. John begins to click at him thinking that this would keep his attention. It worked. The squirrel turned around, and faster than I could catch my breath, climbed John's leg. In less than 2 second the squirrel is up to John's hip. With a deft swivel of the hips- the squirrel is thrown off and with a flying leap heads for the nearest tree. All in all, giving us a really good laugh and a really good story for our Anniversary. Too bad I didn't get a picture of it!

Moral of the story- Go to the gardens and make sure you take a snack for the squirrels. (even though you probably shouldn't)

(If you look realllly close at the picture,left, you can see the squirrel)

No comments: